The house was first mentioned in official records in 1595. It was purchased in 1626 by Abbot Kaspar von Baumgarteberg and declared a free house in 1652 after a settlement betweek the canon and the City of Linz. In return the canon gave a small stripe of the property to make space for the Bischop street. Later the whole building was reconstructed on the slightly narrower property.
Study Library until 1928
After the dissolution of the monastery Baumgartenberg in 1784, the government proposed to give the free house to the Monastery Kremsmünster as replacement for their former monastery in the Herrenstrasse which has been rededicated to be the bishop’s residence. After the approval by the Emperor the building was given to the monastery, which then accommodated the study library (until 1928) as well as the “Museum Physikum“ (until 1883) there.
The Klosterhof becomes a restaurant
In 1930 the architect Franz Zell (1878 - 1948) from Munich transformed the main building and the garden to the restaurant Klosterhof. The building’s architecture was declared a historic landmark in 2009.